About the United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven emirates consisting of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Quwain. Each of the emirates has its own fascinating character and charm, so traveling to this country will give any tourist a diverse experience. Today, it is also a popular medical destination, ranked as the 13th top medical travel destinations by value. The country offers medical centers with specialized doctors, cutting-edge technology, and affordable procedures. There are over 200 JCI-Accredited hospitals and clinics spread all across the country. These medical centers provide a wide range of treatments, such as major surgeries, cosmetic procedures, and rehabilitation.
Popular Cities and Regions
The UAE caters to all types of tourists and it is packed with interesting modern buildings, Islamic traditions, luxurious shopping malls, amusement parks, and natural wonders. Most tourists will only visit Dubai, an admirable city with futuristic architecture, botanical gardens, and exotic souqs(market place). However, the other emirates are also worth a visit. Abu Dhabi, the capital and the richest city, is a cultural center filled with museums and opulent Islamic Architecture. Those who want to take a break from ultramodern skyscrapers must-visit Al Ain as it is a laid-back city with Wadi Adventure waterpark and numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The country has some of the busiest airports in the world. Tourists can reach the country from nearly anywhere in the world, including Europe and North America. The quickest and cheapest way to travel from one city to another is by flying with budget airlines such as flydubai. All of the emirates is well connected by road and tourists can hire a car to travel from one city to another. The country also has coach services and a number of hop-on, hop-off bus companies. Taxis are a convenient method to get around the UAE.
A free-of-charge visa on arrival at Abu Dhabi Airport is available for citizens of several countries, including Australia, Hong Kong, and the United States. GCC citizens do not need a visa to enter the United Arab Emirates. Nationals of all other countries will need to apply for a visa before their trip and the visa is valid for 30 or 90 days.
The country enjoys a subtropical climate. Winter is from December to February. This season has pleasant weather, with a maximum temperature of 26°C. The summer is sunny and can get unbearably hot. The daytime temperature varies between 28°C to 42°C, but it can soar to 48°C. Keep in mind that the country may be affected by strong winds that can bring sand storms.
- Local Currency: Dirham is the local currency, and 1 USD converts to 3.67 AED.
- Money & Payments: ATMs are widely available across the country. Credit and debit cards can be used in hotels, restaurants, and shops. Tipping is common, but not expected.
- Local Language: Arabic is the most widely spoken language. However, the population speaks and understands a lot of languages, including English.
- Local Culture and Religion: The official religion is Islam, but the population is free to practice any religion.
- Public holidays: The country celebrates numerous holidays such as the Islamic New Year, the Prophet’s Birthday, and the King’s Coronation Day. Ramadhan is the most celebrated festival in the country.