Daegu is the fourth-largest metropolitan city in South Korea. The city is particularly famous for its fashion industry. It is also known as Medi-City due to its oriental medicine as well as a modern healthcare infrastructure. Today, this large metropolis has become increasingly popular among medical tourists, both domestic and international. The city had the first successful arm transplant in Korea in 2017. Equipped with excellent medical technology, affordable costs, and state-of-the-art medical technology, the city provides a wide range of treatments and procedures. The hospitals in the city offer cancer and serious disease surgery, dentistry, ophthalmology, general checkup, as well as cosmetic surgery.
There are various popular attractions in Daegu and one of the most popular places to visit is the Seomun Market, the oldest traditional market in the city with around 4000 vendors selling traditional Hanboks, modern clothing, and street food. Tourists who want to indulge in the city’s culture and history should visit the Daegu National Museum and Daegu Yangnyeongsi Museum of Oriental Medicine. Donghwasa Temple is another must-visit location in Daegu and it has beautiful architecture and is filled with various Buddhist statues including a 17-meter high statue of Buddha.
To get to Daegu, international tourists usually arrive at Daegu International Airport and the airport serves many domestic flights and several international flights. There are budget airlines operating flights from this airport, such as Tigerair Taiwan, T’way Airlines, VietJet Air, and Asiana Airlines. Daegu has a City Tour Bus for tourists. It also has subway metro lines that run from 05.30 AM to 11.30 PM. Taxis are also available and are somewhat affordable.
South Korea allows 112 countries, including the US, Russia, and Canada to enter without a visa for up to 180 days. Nationals of other countries need to obtain a visa before visiting Daegu. The country provides an electronic visa application.
Daegu has four distinct seasons. Spring in the city starts in April and ends in June. The weather in Spring is mostly sunny, making it one of the best times to visit. Summer is from late June to August and it is also the rainy season. Autumn brings cooler temperatures. Winter falls in December and ends in March. The weather during this season can be very cold.
- Local Currency: South Korean Won (KRW) is the official currency. 1 USD is equivalent to around 1,182 KRW.
- Money & Payments: ATMs are widely available in the city. Tourists should find ATMs with a ‘Global’ sign to use international cards. Credit cards are accepted in many hotels and restaurants. Tipping is not expected.
- Local Language: The official language is Korean with Hangul as the formal script. Most hotel and restaurant staff has an understanding of Basic English.
- Local Culture and Religion: More than 50% of the population is not religious. However, some of the major religions are Christianity and Buddhism.
- Public holidays: New Year’s Day, Seollal, Chuseok, and Christmas are some of the most celebrated public holidays in Daegu.