Mexicali is the capital city of the State of Baja California and the city has a highly educated and skilled population. Over 100,000 medical tourists visit the city every year. These tourists come from the United States, Canada, European countries, and many other parts of the world. The city boasts numerous world-class hospitals with world-class equipment and the doctors and surgeons are highly skilled. A great selection of medical procedure is available with almost no waiting time. Also, the costs are very affordable. Patients can save up to 75% on medical costs compared to the US. Hospital de la Familia and Hospital Hispano Americano are two of the more popular medical centers, with dental treatments as the most popular procedure.
Mexicali, without a doubt, is full of life and excitement. Although it does not provide many tourist attractions, the city has a vibrant nightlife scene. There is a wide variety of bars and clubs to choose from. Most bars are open until early in the morning and they offer some delicious drinks and food. Since the city has the largest concentration of Chinese in Mexico, it offers an interesting food scene. From Mexican restaurants to Chinese food, tourists can find many types of foods. An array of entertainment and cultural venues, water parks, and museums are available to explore. Not far from the city is the Guadalupe Canyon, which is an oasis lined with palm trees, natural pools, and waterfalls.
Mexicali International Airport is located just outside the city. It operates several commercial flights, mainly from other parts of Mexico. You can also access the city from the United States through highway 111. To get around the city, local buses and taxis are widely available. Taxis are reasonably priced, but the local bus is the most affordable mode of transportation.
Citizens of 67 countries can enter Mexico without a visa. Other nationals not listed in the visa exemption program, such as China and India, must obtain a visa before visiting Mexico. The visa is normally valid for six months.
Mexicali receives very little rainfall, which has resulted in a dry climate. The summer (April to October) can be extremely hot, with an average temperature of 33 °C. On the hottest days, the temperatures can rise above 40 °C. There is almost no rain during this season. The winter brings cooler temperature and January is the wettest month.
- Local Currency: Mexican peso is the official currency. 1 USD converts to 19 MXN.
- Money & Payments: ATMs are available in many of the tourist spots, but tourists should visit banks or money exchange offices to exchange their currency to Mexican Peso. Larger restaurants will accept credit card. Tipping is expected in many services, which is between 10% to 15%.
- Local Language: Most people speak Spanish. However, many people understand and speak English.
- Local Culture and Religion: Roman Catholic is the major religion in Mexicali.
- Public holidays: The city celebrates New Year’s Eve, Constitution Day, Good Friday, Independence Day, Christmas Day, and several other public holidays.