Ukraine is a country in Eastern Europe and it is one of the most budget-friendly countries on the continent. From transportation, accommodation, tourist attractions, to healthcare services are all affordable and significantly cheaper than other countries within Europe. Medical tourists from all over the world can get high-quality medical care at lower costs than their home countries. They can also benefit from the shorter waiting times, modern facilities, as well as combining their treatments with some sightseeing tours. The country also offers a wide range of medical treatments, with dentistry, cosmetic surgery, and eye care as the most popular treatments. In particular, medical tourists come for laser eye surgery and breast augmentation.
Popular Cities and Regions
Ukraine is a captivating destination for any tourists. Its number of lush forests make the country seems undiscovered. Dating back to the 5th century, Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine is one of the oldest cities in Eastern Europe. The city is a perfect blend of historical buildings and urban art. Another charming city is Lviv, which is a city packed with art nouveau architecture and cozy cafes. Its historic center is listed in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. For tourists who want to experience the country’s nature, Carpathian Mountain is the place to go and it is overflowing with thick forests, meadows, and mountain lakes. Anyone who’s looking to have a summer gateway should visit Odesa as it is famous for its sandy beaches, harbors, and beautiful buildings.
The largest airport in Ukraine is the Boryspil International Airport. The airport connects Ukraine with several major cities in Europe and Asia. It also serves domestic flights, with budget airlines such as Lauda, Ryanair, and SkyUp Airlines as the most affordable options. Domestic flights are the most effective way to get around the country. To get around in its cities, tourists can opt for minibusses, subway (known as Metro), and taxis.
Holders of passports issued by the European Union, Canada, the United States, and various other countries can enter Ukraine without a visa for up to 90 days. However, nationals of other countries (including China, India, and Thailand) are required to obtain a visa before entering the country. e-Visa is available for 52 specified countries.
Summer in Ukraine is warm, sunny, and long, with the temperatures ranging between 19°C - 25°C. The season starts in June and ends in September. Winter is cold as the temperature can drop to an average of around 5°C to -3°C. Spring and Autumn tend to have milder temperatures and receive the maximum amount of rainfall.
- Local Currency: The official currency is the hryvnia. 1 USD converts to 25.2 UAH (September 2019).
- Money & Payments: ATMs are widely available, even in small towns. Credit cards are accepted in certain places, but it is wiser to always bring cash. Tipping is common, but not required.
- Local Language: The official language is Ukrainian but Romanian, Polish, Hungarian, Belarusian, and Russian are widely spoken. English is mostly spoken in tourist areas.
- Local Culture and Religion: Most of the population follows Orthodox Christianity. Judaism, Buddhism, Paganism, and Hinduism are also practiced.
- Public holidays: Major Orthodox holidays, as well as Victory Day, Constitution Day, and Independence Day are the most celebrated holidays in Ukraine.